Christine Ay Tjoe Always Floating In A Constant Distance 2019
Lithograph on Somerset Soft White 300gsm paper
49.7 x 39 cm | 19 9/16 x 15 3/8 in.
Signed and numbered
Published by White Cube, 2019
• The image of the artwork shows a proof, not the final edition, and each edition may vary slightly from this image.
• All proceeds from the sale of this edition of 250 will go to The Trussell Trust.
• The purchase price is inclusive of VAT. If VAT is not applicable to the sale, any VAT added to the price will be deducted upon confirmation of the delivery address at check-out and prior to you making payment.
• International orders may be subject to additional local taxes or import duties.
• Sales are strictly limited to one edition per household.
• The edition number will be allocated at the point of sale.
• Editions cannot be resold to a third party for a period of five years.
• White Cube reserves the right to cancel or refund orders for any reason.
• Please read our full online terms of sale.
• This edition is sold unframed.
• Collection is possible for this edition at White Cube Bermondsey. This option will appear at checkout.
• All editions are packaged to the highest standards, managed at our warehouse using archival materials.
• Shipping charges are additional and will be calculated at checkout.
• We aim to dispatch editions within two weeks of purchase, unless the edition has not yet been fabricated.
• Your edition will be dispatched with a tracked and signed courier service. You will receive an email notification when your order is on its way.
• Shipping times are as follows:
United Kingdom: 1–2 weeks
International: 2–4 weeks (subject to customs clearance)
Christine Ay Tjoe - Always Floating In A Constant Distance
Christine Ay Tjoe’s gestural practice is rooted in an exploration of expressive line and the fundamental principles of drawing. In this lithograph, produced to coincide with her solo exhibition at White Cube Bermondsey, London in 2018, Ay Tjoe investigates the potential darkness within the human soul.
As with her paintings, Ay Tjoe employs a refined abstract language developed out of extensive drawing studies of the plants and flora surrounding her studio in Bandung, Indonesia. The print features highly animated lines, densely overlaid and clustered together to create a dramatic and forceful composition. This accumulated mass of abstract mark making suggests an organic form which loosely resembles plant roots or tumbleweed, out of which fine tendrils emerge like hairline cracks that have spread from a point of force.
Always Floating In A Constant Distance is printed using an aluminium plate onto which Ay Tjoe had drawn with lithographic crayons. A series of these aluminium plates were part of her 2018 solo exhibition in London and her 2021 show in Hong Kong.
Create an Account
To view available artworks and access prices.